Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:32:51 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P5A broken by ACPI black-list

> From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:09:44 -0400
>
> On Tuesday 05 October 2004 11:54 am, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
> > > Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:57:30 -0400

> > > $PIR routing already works on FreeBSD and has worked for quite a while.
> > > The patches I have are to make the acpi_pci_link code work more like the
> > > $PIR code already does.  It doesn't change the ACPI code to actually use
> > > $PIR or the MPTable though.  I can try to look at why the ethernet device
> > > doesn't get interrupts correctly if you can provide verbose ACPI and
> > > non-ACPI dmesgs to look at.
> >
> > I am attaching the files. I do see some oddities with the
> > interrupts that I had not previously noted, but they seen to be linked to
> > sound, not the Ethernet. And, for whatever it's worth, "vmstat -i" does
> > not show my sound card, at all. dmesg indicates it should be on IRQ 6.
> > interrupt                          total       rate
> > irq0: clk                        4242251         99
> > irq1: atkbd0                           3          0
> > irq7: ppc0                             1          0
> > irq8: rtc                        5430044        127
> > irq10: xl0                         13699          0
> > irq13: npx0                            1          0
> > irq14: ata0                       166980          3
> > irq15: ata1                          136          0
> > Total                            9853115        232
>
> First, do you have a floppy drive?  IRQ 6 should be used for your floppy drive
> if so.  Note that $PIR says that IRQ 6 is not an option for your link devices
> but ACPI does.  In the non-APCI case we use IRQ 10 for both xl0 and pcm0.
> Are you saying that in that case pcm0 works but xl0 does not?

The sound card works fine with ACPI but, without ACPI it fails. The
first tone in the file plays continuously, like there are no interrupts
from the sound card. :-)

The kernel is RELENG_5 as of 9/28/04 04:00:00. I know that quite a bit
has been done to fix up floppy problems recently, so it is possible that
things might be different on CURRENT.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)