Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 17:42:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        David_Kulp@affymetrix.com (David Kulp)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sierra Wireless PCMCIA AirCard for Ricochet 128k network

As I recall, David Kulp wrote:
> The fact that it acts like a NIC and not a modem made me think that this
> device had a rosier future for unix laptops.  I think I was very wrong,
> but I'd appreciate any follow-up regarding either any experience with
> Sierra's cards or knowledge of any efforts for AirCard driver development
> for any unix.

The Novatel Merlin looks like a modem, complete with ATDT command set.
You dial "3333" (at least here in Phoenix, using Wireless Web connect
[www.wwc.com] for the ISP) and establish a PPP connection with the
modem.  Use the gateway and nameservers handed to you, and you're in
business.

Only drawback is the IP address changes for each connection.  WWC
has made some noise about giving out a fixed address (so I could put
it in my nameserver) for an additional $10/month.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com