Date:      Tue,  7 Mar 1995 13:15:20 UTC+0100
From:      Javier Martin Rueda <jmrueda@diatel.upm.es>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: System hangs when changing root device

As I said several days ago:

> I created a boot disk with rawrite (using the "newer" bootdisk from FreeBSD
> 2.0-RELEASE) and everything was probed OK, but after the message "changing
> root device to fd0c" appeared, the computer freezed.

This is just to say that I changed the motherboard from a PCI+VESA with UMC
chipset to a PCI+VESA with Opti chipset, and things started to work.

However, then the network card (SMC EtherPower 8432BT PCI) did not work.
This was solved by changing the IRQ from 9 to 11. The computer also has
a serial port in IRQ2, and that must be conflicting with IRQ9.

Maybe the problem with the old motherboard was also due to some IRQ
conflict, although everything seemed to be probed OK. I must say that I
have a VESA motherboard with UMC chipset at home and it works fine with
FreeBSD 2.0R.

Just FYI...