Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:57:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
To:        "Paul Fu, Jr." <quark@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS/2 - Serial mouse adapter problems

Paul Fu, Jr. wrote:

>I've got a ps/2-serial adapter hooked up to a freebsd 4.0 box that
>connects to a cybex switchview. The switchview is connected to a
>intellimouse optical.  I can't get the mouse to work using XF86Config
>or /stand/sysinstall. I'm using /dev/cuaa0 (and have tried cuaa1) and
>every driver combination.  Using moused doesn't seem to do anything.

It may be a hardware thing.  I've had this problem with other OS's as
well.  Some computers' PS/2 ports just don't seem to like those
switchboxes (Dell Optiplex 590s have this issue; I use them for
gateways), and it's even flakier when there are PS/2-serial adaptors
involved.  Try a combination that doesn't require an adaptor, if you
have that option.

Frankly, I've given up, and just attach a cheap mouse to each box when
necessary, and share only the keyboard and monitor.

-d