Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:50:41 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        James <effdefender@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions <Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting KDE to work

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 10:35:21AM -0700, James wrote:
> I'm new to FreeBSD (thought I have basic experience using Solaris, I'm
> pretty new to UNIX).  Thank you everyone for your help so far.
> I had a lot of trouble getting KDE to work, but I finally did a "make
> install clean" on KDE3.  It successfully installed.  I've installed XFree86
> version 4.2.  I can't seem to get KDE to run.
>
> I type:  #startkde
> and it then spits back:
>
> xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
> xset:  unable to open display ""
> ksplash:  cannot connect to X server
> kdeinit:  Aborting.  $DISPLAY is not set.
> ksmserver:  cannot connect to X server
> Warning:  connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
>

> My guess is that I need to set the display somehow (though I could be
> wrong).  How would I do this?  I've run through the /stand/sysinstall
> installation for XFree86 3 times.

Is X already running when you run startkde?  Startkde is just a script that
kicks off various KDE processes -- it doesn't actually start X for you.

Try creating a file in your home directory called '.xinitrc' containing a
single line 'startkde'.  You might need to make .xinitrc executable (chmod
755 ~/.xinitrc).

Then start X with the command 'startx'.  This should fire up the X server
then run all the KDE stuff.

HTH,

	Scott