Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 12:10:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current kernel won't build

1. Only one mailing list at a time, please.  Questions would have been
   enough, no need to cc -hackers.

2. If you do not subscribe to the freebsd-current mailing list then
   either do so or STOP running -current right now.  You must read
   the discussions in this mailing list in order to effectively run
   -current and also not waste everyone's time here with -current FAQs
   (as your question is).

3. You need to rebuild config from -current sources if you want to be
   able to build the kernel.

> To all:
>
> I just (10/31--early AM) cvsupped current, then tried to build a kernel--any
> kernel--without success.  One configuration problem I was able to fix: in
> /i386/conf files.i386 the nxp.c driver library had the keyword "mandatory"
> instead of "standard."  Changing it thus did away with the error message:
>
> >i386/isa/npx.c                  standard        npx     device-driver
>
> Another mystery that causes a non-critical error is the tag in /i386/conf
> Makefile.i386 for a certain version of config:
>
> ># Which version of config(8) is required.
> >%VERSREQ=       300002
>
> The command "/usr/sbin/config GENERIC" gives this warning (but creates the
> kernel build directory):
>
> >Unknown % construct in generic makefile: %VERSREQ=      300002
>
> But all of my sup's--I deleted and re-supped /src/sys 3 times--failed to buil
d a
> kernel with this error:
>
> >cc -O -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs
> >-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith  -nostdinc -I- -I.
> >-I../.. -I../../../include -DFAILSAFE -DCOMPAT_43 -DMSDOSFS -DNFS -DFFS -DIN
ET