Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 08:14:58 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Subject:   Re: PPP, cu and US Robotics 14,400 Sporster FAX Modem

Hi Malcolm,

If you haven't had any success yet, try this:

   I would put the modem on COM2 -> /dev/cuaa1.

You may have a mouse on COM1 -> cuaa0 ????  maybe not.

Anyway, try this.

  cu -l /dev/cuaa1 -s 9600 dir

  at&v
       This should show you modem settings.

  ate1q0&c1&d2&w0

       Sets up your modem for dialing out

  atdt<xxxxxxx> somebodies phone number. Press ESC to hang up as soon as they
answer!

So all that works?  If that hasn't worked, then you have modem/cable problems,
or either COM1/COM2 is not wired correctly. Check the startup messages. Do they
show up ok.

Don't worry about the hieraglyphics you see on line with direct connects. Thats
just line noise.

Ok, next thing. Grab http://www.chalmers.com.au/temp/Chapter-5.doc from my
server. Its written in Ms-Office97 's Word, so you will need to use someones PC
to read it. It will step you right through setting up PPP

bob

ok, now try PPP according to your settings.

MALCOLM BOFF wrote:

> I have spent many hours trying to connect to my ISP without success. I
> became
> convinced that there must have been a problem with 2.2.2-RELEASE so I
> reluctantly upgraded to 2.2.6-RELEASE. The problem is still the same !!
>
> On Brian's advice I stopped trying to make PPP work in order to try
> something
> simpler ie 'cu'. to see what was happening ...
>
>    cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 38400 (also tried next higher speed up)
>    Connected
>    atdt(ISP Phone number)
>
> The response is a long line of hieraglyphics with no meaning that I can
> deduce
> looking at the output in hex.
> I get exactly the same with PPP.
>
> I am looking for anyone using a 'US Robotics Sportster 14400 FAX Modem'
> to see a) if they can PPP and b) if so do they use any particular Hayes
> codes
> or c) advise on how to check this out.
>
> All help welcome ...
>
> Malcolm G. Boff
> Sylmex Ltd

  Support Whirled Peas.       Business in China?    China House
  robert@chalmers.com.au      ph:61 7 49440357 fx:61 7 49578425
   China House Uses Webposition to ensure Top Spot in Searches
   http://www.chalmers.com.au/ChinaHouse/Business/webposition