Date:      Fri, 18 May 2007 04:46:33 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        mato <gamato@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configuring network connection via proxy

> I included doc@ as I believed that this requirement is quite common and I
> wondered that the topic wasn't covered in the handbook.

Fair enough assessment at this point. We'll see if we can find a
resolution, then lend it to doc@ if we can.

> What I do in Windows is the following -- I go to Control panel / Internet
> options / Connections / LAN settings and there you can fill in proxy server
> address and port.  You can click on Advanced button and specify different
> proxies for HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, Socks.  This is very similar to Mozilla
> preferences.  However, IE settings are sort of global and can then be used by
> majority of modern Windows applications.  Some of them have a choice to
> either configure them manually or use internet options from IE.

I appreciate your patience and diligence here. However, if I understand
correctly (please tell me if I'm wrong anybody), that configuring these
settings, whether it be in 'Control Panel' Internet Options, or via the
same within IE, you are only configuring a proxy server for any
applications/Internet connections that happen through the IE interface.

Essentially, IE is a looking glass in this scenario. You type
ftp.freebsd.org in your IE browser, and it will tunnel through the proxy
set in the 'Control Panel' settings, because you are in IE. If you were
to fire up 'cmd' at the command line and run 'ftp', or run a third party
FTP application such as IIRC 'CuteFTP', it would not tunnel through what
you think it does.

If I understand correctly what you are trying to do, then AFAIK, you
need to understand beyond the 'Internet Options' of IE, and get into
tunneling and proxying beyond the application layer you are sitting at.
I know no other way to say it.

I have the exact same settings in a default Firefox install on FBSD, and
Windows, as I do IE. Just because you go through control panel, it isn't
any different. IE is so much part of Windows, it may as well be hard
coded in (as a matter of fact, it was, with IE7, they are just starting
to separate it).

> And this is precisely what I would like to achieve on FreeBSD.  To have the
> ability to turn on using of proxy in one place and not to have go through
> each application (eg web browser, FTP client, portsnap, cvsup, etc.) and
> change their settings manually (if possible at all).

What do you do in Windows that you 'think' is going via proxy, that is
done *outside* your Internet Explorer (or any other 'File Manager' type
window), that you can't do in FreeBSD? quote:

- "web browser" ... Firefox (and all others)
- "FTP client" ...  there isn't one I can't think of, including FireFTP
plugin for Firefox
- "portsnap" ... what is a Windows equivalent? (..hrm FTP?)
- "cvsup" ... same as above (..FTP?)

FreeBSD running X with Firefox will perform the exact same tasks you see
on Windows. You *think* you are getting more features because you go
through the control panel, but that means essentially diddly-squat.

Any number of people here could likely explain how to use a proxy on
FreeBSD, but you are still not getting to the point.

Are you trying to bypass a corporate firewall? Are you trying to hide
information?

With accurate information as to what you are trying to proxy around and
what protocols (applications) you need to put through the proxy, then
any number of solutions can be provided. I'd hate to think you are
relying on a few proxy settings within Windows for something they are
completely not intended for, especially with a misguided understanding.

For instance, I usually run an SSH tunnel from my Windows workstation to
a server out on the Internet, set my web browsers proxy settings up to
point to the localhost, which pushes the web traffic through an
encrypted connection to somewhere on the 'net and out from there. That
is only HTTP traffic at this point though. In this case, I can run
anything I want across such a connection, including, if I were so
inclined, P2P.

> Now, I don't know if this can be achieved somehow with the basic FreeBSD
> tools

It certainly can.

> or perhaps with some 3rd party application.

These would be called 'ports' or 'packages', but from my understanding
of what you want, are irrelevant.

>  Could you advice please ?

My advice is without authority, but I can give what I know ;)

> And sorry for not being clear right in the beginning.

I wouldn't say not clear, just that I didn't tune completely in you
could say.

Steve