Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:17:26 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Burkard Meyendriesch <bm@malepartus.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC memory support

On Oct 22, 11:57pm, Burkard Meyendriesch wrote:

} But my original questions are still pending: Isn't there any possibility
} to detect 1-bit errors even if they are detected and corrected by my
} ECC electronics? Isn't there any register of the 82430HX chip set which
} can be examined after an memory error NMI?

Yes there is.  It's documented in the chipset datasheet that you can
download from Intel's web site.  Also your BIOS should have a setting
to configure whether a 1-bit error causes an NMI.

The last time this subject came up, some folks wanted to use the BIOS
(which should understand the chipset on that motherboard) to retrieve
this information rather than build knowledge of specific chipsets into
the kernel.

On an unrelated thread, someone mentioned that there were some unresolved
issues with rearming NMI.

I would very much like to have this feature, however it might be
implemented.