Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:49:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Jon Ringuette <wintermute@imeme.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about possibly additions to TOP

Doesn't top already run in Jail on -CURRENT?  Thomas Moestl did this work
a while back, exposing the necessary information to support most of our
userland monitoring tools using sysctl rather than kvm:

last pid: 32655;  load averages:  0.05,  0.09,  0.07    up 7+14:52:51 09:50:01
2 processes:   1 running, 1 sleeping
CPU states:  4.7% user,  0.0% nice,  2.3% system,  1.2% interrupt, 91.8% idle
Mem: 61M Active, 21M Inact, 32M Wired, 6932K Cache, 22M Buf, 888K Free
Swap: 261M Total, 52M Used, 209M Free, 20% Inuse

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
32652 root      96    0  1956K  1080K RUN      0:00  0.00%  0.00% top
32650 root      20    0  1448K   996K pause    0:00  0.00%  0.00% tcsh

In general, new "features" for top go into the cross-platform vendor top
code, but features to improve FreeBSD-specific information extraction go
into our local tree.  What exactly does -j do?