Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:33:43 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        TrouBle <trouble@hackfurby.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ummmm ???? HUH ?? (ICMP_BANDLIM)

Dan Nelson wrote:
> It's a message saying that the system is receiving more than 100 ICMP
> messages per second, and is throttling responses.  This usually
> indicates a ping flood.

And it's first enabled by putting "options ICMP_BANDLIM" in your kernel
config
file.

I'm not too sure that this message would pop up during a ping flood.
According to comments in the source code,
(/usr/src/sys/netinet/ip_icmp.c), ICMP_BANDLIM only limits ICMP _error_
nonexistent address. But I get those messages when I'm toying around
with nessus (a "security scanner") and I hit ports with nothing
listening on them.

--Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>