Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:57:03 -0800
From:      Pete Carah <pete@altadena.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Devd event from GEOM?

Geom doesn't feed node-creations to devd in 5.3.  This would be VERY useful
for letting ordinary non-programmer users access pen drives, among
other things (floppies come to mind too...).
(or mount e.g. a pen drive as part of an authentication system where no-one is
yet logged in, so can't manually mount...)

umass0 comes in to devd, but this isn't useful for use in "mount".  One
needs the disk device nodes.  I suppose one *could* parse dmesg for
the info (or maybe sysctl) but that smacks of a serious kluge.  (not to
mention that the slice table isn't represented in dmesg anyhow, and
practically nothing is in sysctl...)

Does this yet happen in any later version (RELENG_5 or HEAD)?
If not, is there anyone planning or working on it?

It *does* work in Solaris and IRIX, (I know - we aren't them...)
I don't know about any Linux or other *BSD version either.

Geom is modular enough that this shouldn't be difficult...

-- Pete