Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:44:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no (Marius Bendiksen)
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, joelh@gnu.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on i386 memory model

> Are you saying that we're going to say to people "Hey, FreeBSD is not
> intended to run on anything less than a Pentium, we don't wish to get
> involved with anything less, the people out there who're stuck with a 486
> had better go support Linux instead?"

Not to mention that Intel has a not-very-publicized macrocell
called the 486GX, which is a 486 without an FPU that you can
get burnt on a piece of silicon with other macrocells like,
oh, say, 2 10/100 ethernet interfaces, a couple of UARTS, a
USART for T1, Frame Relay, or DSL, an integrated 8254, and
maybe some EEPROM interface hardware...

And they *don't* offer a Pentium macrocell for similar uses,
since the Pentium is such a lunker.

As a router or net connectivity ASIC, this would be hard to
beat, expecially if you could throw 8M onto the thing and run
a small UNIX-like OS there...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---