Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:57:59 -0400
From:      "Joshua Drake" <joshdrake@mediaone.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IP address being switched between 2 MAC addresses

Hello (first post)

I have searched through the archives, and I know this has been covored. I
understand what is going on, but am not sure how to stop it from happening.
I have a FreeBSD(4.3) machine that runs the Apache web server (1.3.20). I am
connected via a cable modem. It works great until my ISP's gateway switches
the MAC address associated with the IP address. It switches between 2 MACs
on a regular basis, and when it does so, makes my web server basically
unoperable. I can still ping it with great times, but it is very slow to
load web pages, and sometimes won't load images at all. I ran down the IP
address, but don't know how to pinpoint what machine is associated with each
MAC address, however, neither MAC is any card on my network. If anyone has a
solution, or some hints, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!