Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 02:35:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au (Daniel O'Connor)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Write Combining info..

Daniel O'Connor said:
> Hi,
> I found a web page which has a patch for Linux to manipulate the MTRRs on a
> PPro and PII.
> It's at http:/http://glide.xxedgexx.com/MTRR.html

It is trivial to set the MTRR's.  We don't have smp support yet for the
necessary IPI mechanism.  I am working on significant SMP upgrades,
including that.

The issue regarding WC mode is that we need to agree upon an API for
XFree to specify the appropriate modes for the cards.  The PCI cards
don't do a very good job in specifying what they would like to have,
so this will have to be an XFree issue.  All we need to do is to add
kernel support, but again, that is pretty easy.

In the short-term, you can use the fastvid stuff that is floating
around, but alas it is only fully effective on UP kernels (it works
on SMP kernels, but only for one processor.)

I am doing a lot of things right now, making SMP work very well,
within the current architectural constraints.  In some cases, I
am making the current architectural constraints less of a problem.