Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:47:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can anybody terminate an IP-IP tunnel for me?

Stefan Bethke wrote:
 > Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
 > > How do I terminate the IP-IP tunnel at my end?
 >
 > I'm using OpenVPN for similar porposes, albeit on lower latency DSL
 > links.  OpenVPN can run over UDP or TCP, and can work through NAT,
 > and even with dynamic IPs.

While OpenVPN works well usually, it is generally not
advisable to run it over TCP, especially if your link
is not guaranteed to have 0% packet loss, which might
be the case for satellite links.  Running OpenVPN over
UDP is fine.

That problem has been discussed and explained quite
often in various forums.  Here's one of them:

http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html

I've used OpenVPN myself to tunnel official IP addresses
to my (dynamic) DSL link at home.  You need to have a
server outside somewhere, of course, but that shouldn't
be a problem.  Here in .de you can rent a good root server
for <= 50 Euro per month ("good" means you can install
FreeBSD remotely without difficulty).  I guess it's not
much different in .au or elsewhere in the world.
And if you share it with a few friends or collegues, then
the costs are even less.  That's how I've done it; I share
a 50 Euro root server with three friends, so I pay only
12,50 per month.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python is an experiment in how much freedom programmers need.
Too much freedom and nobody can read another's code; too little
and expressiveness is endangered."
        -- Guido van Rossum