Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 01:56:38 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "David O'Brien" <dev-null@nuxi.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mergemaster(8) broken -- uses Perl

On 2002-05-19 11:05, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 05:29:22AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Part of the problems I had when I tried to replace perl in
> > mergemaster.sh with something `native' was that the perl code uses
> > stat(2) to obtain the permission bits of a directory/file and I can't
> > think of a way to do this with tools in the base system without
> > resorting to ugly awk scripts that parse and translate ls(1) output.
>
> What is so ugly about it?  It is not that many lines, and it is very easy
> to read and understand what you are doing.  Make it an sh function.
> There is most likely code like this in the Perl binary.  If this is so
> ugly lets gut it out of perl also.

Alright.  I'll probably use this or the sed stuff I posted as a
followup to Alfred's mail.  I haven't had much time to spend on
FreeBSD today since I was trying to install NetBSD on a spare disk and
start getting acquainted, but thanks for the positive feedback ;)

--
Giorgos Keramidas    - http://www.FreeBSD.org
keramida@FreeBSD.org - The Power to Serve