Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:57:40 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Jeff Jeter <gsfgf@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: General Disk Questions

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 04:35:40PM -0500, Jeff Jeter wrote:
> 1)I am running freebsd 4.4 with samba 2.2.0
> On boot i mount a MS-DOS drive to /D
> When i try to access that drive over the network (from a Win2000 machine)
> i can browse adn read from the drive, but cannot write.  i ran chmod -R
> 777 /D, but still cannot write to the drive.  I tried creating a separate
> share for the drive, but still no write access. What do i need to do?

The MS-DOS filesystem has no concept of file ownership or permissions
(other than 'read only', I guess), so *everything* under your MS-DOS
mountpoint will inherit the ownership and permissions of the directory you
mounted on (/D in this case).  You need to umount /D, chmod and chown /D as
necessary, and remount the filesystem.  'man mount_msdos' for more info on
how ownership/permissions work for MS-DOS filesystems.

I'd suggest 'chown nobody:nobody /D' and 'chmod 755 /D', and adding a line
'guest ok = yes' to your Samba config for [D].  The Samba guest user is
'nobody' by default, so the W2K machine *should* be able to write to the
share regardless of what username it tries to use (I assume this is how you
want it to work).

BTW, sharing your FreeBSD root directory (and making it writeable) might
not be the best plan, especially if these machines are on the 'net.

HTH,

	Scott