Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 19:00:46 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bdluevel@heitec.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make index, make readmes

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 04:17:35PM +0200, Bernd Luevelsmeyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after upgrading to -Stable I wanted to re-create the ports' INDEX file
> and all the README.html . So I went into /usr/ports and issued
>   make index
>   make readmes
>
> Both didn't work properly, make readmes went to
>   ===> graphics
>   ===>  Creating README.html
>   cd: can't cd to shot2png
>   cd: can't cd to shot2png
> and then it sat there, doing nothing. I found that shot2png is in
> graphics/Makefile but doesn't actually exist, that will be the reason
> but why didn't the make end somehow, with or without error?
>
> make index complained a lot about non-existing ports
> ("/usr/ports/math/numpy non-existent -- dependency list incomplete" is
> an example), and then it had a lot of missing entries, such as
> "make_index: no entry for: /usr/ports/x11/XFree86". It did create an
> INDEX, though.
>
> Is this behaviour to be expected, because the Makefiles aren't up to
> date all the time, or is my ports tree messed up? Should I do something
> about it, or just wait until another "make update" corrects the
> situation?

No, this behavior is not to be expected, it is the result of slip-ups
while removing/moving/adding ports.  Thanks for reporting it!

I removed the entries for graphics/shot2png and textproc/shot2txt,
added in an entry for math/numpy, and fixed a couple of dependencies
in other ports.  I am doing another 'make index' as we speak, to check
if everything is fine now.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If the meanings of 'true' and 'false' were switched, then this sentence wouldn't be false.