Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 13:49:52 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From:      Jason Kerr <jkerr@shore.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem install w/ Sony CDU-76S

I'm having trouble installing FreeBSD 4.5 on an old P5-200 machine:

Motherboard - ASUS P55TP4XE
SCSI Controller - ASUS SC-200

ID0 - CD-ROM - Sony CDU-76S
ID2 - Tape - Seagate STT28000N
ID4 - HD - Seagate ST318404LW

I boot using the kern and mfsroot floppies, configure the kernel to
remove the un-used drivers, but the device probe reports the following:

cd0 at sym0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <SONY CD-ROM CDU-76S 1.1c> Removeable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 5.681MB/s transfers (5.681MHz, offset 8)
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY,

(the last line ends after "NOT READY,", with nothing further.)

The install application continues, but the CD-ROM isn't, and cannot be,
mounted.

I can continue the install via FTP, but the failure to install the CD-ROM
is troubling, so I'm holding off.

Suggestions? Comments? Pointers to others who have solved such problems?

Thanks,

Jason