Date:      Fri, 02 Sep 2011 01:20:20 +0200
From:      "ANdrei" <arusan@gmx.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RTL8168/8111 re PHY write failed

hi,

 I ran with no problems 8.0 on this machine, then upgraded to 8.2-RELEASE which worked ok for ~2weeks.
 Since yesterday I keep getting

 re1: reset never completed!
 re1: PHY write failed
re1: PHY write failed
re1: PHY write failed

 for one of the network interfaces. I have 3, all same chipset I think: one integrated (re2) and two on PCI-E (re0 and re1).
 only re1 has problems, the rest are fine (with one detail to mention: sometimes at boot re2 is not seen, it does not exist. rebooting makes it visible again - happens seldom).

 after this the status line normally shown by ifconfig disappears (it is still there for the 2 other interfaces that are ok) and for media it says:

 media: Ethernet autoselect (none)

 I tried disabling RX/TX checksums, UP/DOWN the interface, it does never recover. Reboot might fix it, but it seems to go again to this "dead" state in a few minutes - sometimes it boots like this.
 It's not a cable, I switched them (this is a bridge, so which cable goes where does not matter in my case) - still the same problem.

 Any ideas?
 It worked exactly like this for 2 full weeks with absolutely no problem, now I keep getting this almost immediately after reboot.

 Please CC me if replying, I am not subscribed to the list.

 BR.
 Andrei R.