Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 2020 20:45:24 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the "better / best " method to multi-boot different OSes natively WITHOUT VirtualBox(es) ?

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 17:51:04 +0100
Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-10-26 at 15:30 +0000, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 17:33:21 +0100
> > Polytropon wrote:

> > I think this is mostly a myth.
>
> In my experiences it isn't a myth.

Note that I was talking specifically about head parking rather then
power cycling in general. Your anecdote is about power cycling, not
specifically parking.

> The intern HDDs of my PCs did last
> for around 2 years, when turning the computer off and on several
> times a day and they did last for around 7 years, if the machine runs
> more or less 24/7.

I have contrary anecdotes that I wont bore you with.

> > A few year ago Western Digital made some green drives, with
> > extremely aggressive power saving, that parked within seconds. With
> > some usage patters these could fail in months. I think it was
> > around this time that people started talking about heads as if they
> > were like sledge hammers.
>
> This is not true.

And yet you go on to say that it probably is.

> ... There probably were a few drives where this happened every few
> seconds,

Obviously those where it did happen are what I'm talking about. The
drives were only available for a short period, WD changed the defaults
back when they started to fail. My recollection is that this
notion that parking is hugely violent and wearing started to spread
around that time.

Some of the explanations about why parking is so bad are absurd. I've
even heard it said that the whole thing is left to a spring.

My understanding is that parking is always controlled and performed
under power, with the spindle motor being used as a generator if
necessary.