Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 22:41:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@wemm.org, jake@locore.ca
Subject:   Re: gettimeofday() and crhold()/crfree() (was Re: gettimeofday() and copyout(). Is copyout() MPSAFE on non-i386 archs? )

:the whole point is moot..
:you don't need to get or drop the creds at  all..
:
:see the attached patch I'm about to commit a version of..

    I like it in general, but I don't like INVARIANTS causing so much grief
    in the SMP path.  If the whole point is to not drop the ucred in the
    syscall then we shouldn't drop it whether INVARIANTS is set or not.
    I would like to see the invariants sections simply removed.

    I like to run with INVARIANTS set, even on production systems, because
    I like the extra assertions it makes.

    In anycase, I am going to go ahead and commit the mutex pool part of
    my patch to cut down on the size of the ucred structure.  Then I'm going
    to go through and see if we do any other messing around with credentials
    (like in the NFS code) to determine if removing Giant is still necessary.

						-Matt