Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:09:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        SHUDO Kazuyuki <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the prelease jdk1.2 for linux: problem

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

# > I forgot to mention an important matter. You must
# > disable JIT compiler. JDK 1.2 for Linux contains a JIT
# > from Sun, but that can't work with green threads.
# > Specify `-Djava.compiler=' with java command to disable
# > the JIT.
#
# Actually, I believe the JIT compiler is from Metroworks.

Here's what the readme has to say about it.

http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/rel/120/pre-v1/jdk1.2-README.linux

Execution options

This release comes with support for both green threads and native threads.
Native threads is the default choice.  This version also includes a "just in
time" byte code compiler (JIT) that's based on the Solaris x86 JIT, and that's
turned on by default.

#
#
# Nate