Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:06:10 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Netscape 4.0" <king@ultrix6.cs.csubak.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC with multiple Operating Systems

Netscape 4.0 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I  have a computer with about 1.6 and 3.0 Gig disk drives,
> partitioned into 250-300 MB partitions. I have  Windows 3.1
> and Linux installed, and  will soon add Windows95 and perhaps
> Windows NT.  I would like also to add FreeBSD since I am
> not entirely happy with Linux.  However I can't find documentation
> to answer the following questions:
>
> 1. Can  FreeBSD easily coexist with the  other Operating systems?
>     Can I boot FreeBSD  from DOS; can I boot FreeBSD from
>     floppy and switch / to the hard disk?

Yes, No, Yes. There's no problem with booting FreeBSD from the WinNT
boot manager, from lilo, from its own boot manager, the OS/2 boot
manager and many others.

> 2. Can FreeBSD read DOS FAT files, can FreeBSD read Linux
>     ext2 systems

Yes. Yes.

> 3.  I can use fdisk from Linux to create partitions
>     readable from DOS and Linux.  Will FreeBSD recognize
>     these partitions?

See (2) above.

> Answers, or pointers to documentation that answers, the above
> questions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> King Lee

These questions (and probably most of the others you'll have as you
start your way with FreeBSD) are addressed in the Handbook, the FAQ, the
tutorials (especially the multi-operating system tutorial) and the mail
archives, where the questions and answers asked in the past on this list
are stored.

Take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html

Nadav