Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2018 17:15:06 -0400
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        "Paul Mather" <freebsd-lists@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipmitool and SuperMicro SYS-5027R-WRF

On Tue, March 27, 2018 09:58, Paul Mather wrote:

> Actually, graphical console redirection still works for me.  I have to
> download the .jnlp file and then use "javaws /path/to/file.jnlp" via a
> terminal window to fire up the graphical console viewer.

I am trying this approach having first reverted to FF-52esr.  This
change gets the java console display in the SM web admin application.
However, when I try to run the console launch.jnlp file the icedtea
version of javaws dies with the error:

     No iKVM64 in java.library.path.

I have discovered a reference to this error which says that the lines:

    <property name="jnlp.packEnabled" value="true"/>
    <property name="jnlp.versionEnabled" value="true"/>

Have to be added to the os specific resources block in the jnlp file.

<resources os="Linux" arch="amd64">
    <nativelib href="liblinux_x86_64__V1.0.5.jar" download="eager"/>
    <property name="jnlp.packEnabled" value="true"/>
    <property name="jnlp.versionEnabled" value="true"/>
</resources>.

I discovered that javaws is called itweb-javaws on FreeBSD.  However,
even downloading the jnlp file and editing it to add the suggested
lines, which are already present in the generic
<resources></resources> block, still returns the No iKVM64 message
when run with itweb-javaws.

Further research then turned up this thread
(https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2016-July/103836.html)
which contains the notice:

> The supermicro java console requires a linux native binary (ikvm64)
> which cannot be loaded in freebsd.

So I am left with getting ipmitool to work.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3