Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:59:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.3S won't see a DPT RAID array

I've been trying to get a RAID array setup on a box using 3.3S. I've done
exactly the same before using a DPT PM3224A with 6x4GB SCSI drives. I
want the first drive to appear as the drive itself and the remaining 5 to
form a RAID0 array. I can set up the array and at boot time the
controller displays it. Booting into DOS sees the 4GB drive and the ~20GB
array. Booting FreeBSD shows the usual before starting the kernel:

C:      is disk 1
D:      is disk 2

However, when FBSD boots up it sees all 6 drives individually. Any ideas
why? I've not seen this before. I've another machine using exactly; same
DPT model, same revision, same firmware; and 3.3S on that machine sees
drive and array, as planned. I just can't see what's wrong. I don't want
to use vinum, when I shouldn't have to.
Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@ais.salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)