Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 14:53:28 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>, "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>, "FreeBSD questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster question

> From: "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
> Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:41:46 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:47:37 -0700, Dan O'Connor wrote:
>
> >Your approach is pretty much the same as mine: I review (and merge as
> >necessary) files that I know I've modified, install the newer versions of
> >files I know I haven't modified, and under no circumstances allow it to
> >touch /etc/passwd, /etc/master.passwd, or /etc/group.
>
> Just a quick note on /etc/group
> Although rare, there may be instances when a new group is needed
> by some new functionality in FreeBSD.
> This would probably come up on a "Heads UP" on the lists, but if
> one misses it something may not work.

This applies to /etc/groups and any other file that is located in /etc
or its brethren that mergemaster handles.

If I see a file has been changed, I always try to incorporate the
changed lines unless they conflict with some customization I've
made. Files that are not in /etc and the like are often edited by
system admins, but they also may need global changes and mergemaster
gives me the chance to keep things in sync. (The /etc/defaults
structure keeps this to a minimum, though.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)