Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 1995 15:09:34 GMT
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Binary compatibility with NetBSD

I'm a little surprised by the responses to my message about shared
library compatibility.

I didn't expect that it would be possible to have the same shared
libraries as NetBSD, though some people seem to be suggesting it.  My
idea was rather that you could install the NetBSD shared libraries,
and use them.  This is (if I understand correctly) how system V
compatibility works.

As Bruce pointed out, the combination of dynamic application +
libraries is much the same as a static application, and Jordan at
least seems to believe that static compatibility can be maintained.

So I don't understand why Jordan thinks it would be so hard; in
particular I don't understand the comment that "it's easily broken
(meaning you get stuck in this thankless loop of fixing it over and
over again as the libraries themselvse change)".  Why would anything
have to be done when the libraries change (apart from installing the
new ones, of course)?  Changes would only be needed when the interface
between ld.so and the libraries changed, which shouldn't be very
often.

Just to re-iterate, my suggestion is to (a) make ld.so compatible and
(b) have something in the executable to indicate which libraries it
was linked against.  Then ld.so would link against the appropriate
ones at run-time.  Is there some fatal flaw in this?  If so, what is
it?

Finally, if BSDI's shared library scheme is substantially different,
it should be much *easier* be compatible, since the big problem with
NetBSD compatibility is the difficulty of distinguishing between
binaries - the systems are too similar.  Of course, the BSDI shared
libraries may not be freely distributable, which would remove most of
the value of this.

-- Richard