Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:01:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org (current)
Subject:   Re: current-digest V1 #566

Steve Passe écrit / writes:

> Steve's golden rule for buying disk cases:
>
>   find the case you like and buy it.
>   throw away the fan, it will be junk.
>   buy a GOOD, BRAND-NAME, ball-bearing fan
>    from digikey or other reliable parts house

	Yes.  Too   many  fans out there   are  some El Cheapo   with ovoid
	bearings.  Same for CPU  fans : fan  mechanisms are NOT designed to
	be  directly in contact    with intenseley variating heat  sources.
	Guess  why  those  $10   coolers end    up   sounding like    dying
	yorkshires...
	Real, direct surface contact fans are way more than $10.

> other hints:
>
>   if the front panel is removable, REMOVE IT,

	Uh, not necessarily - what you want to achieve is maximum air-flow,
	not maximum exposition  : the drives in my  machine are hotter when
	the cover is off.

>    it may look ugly, but free air will flow directly across top of drive

	Not if proper ventilation is in effect  -- the more open the space,
	the more air-flow you need.

								-- Phil

--
-[ Philippe Regnauld / regnauld@eu.org / +55.4N +11.3E @ Sol3 / +45 31241690 ]-
-[ "To kärve or nøt to kärve, that is the qvestion..."          -- My sister ]-