Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 01:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/21057: Little correction of hier(8)

The following reply was made to PR docs/21057; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To: Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 08:50:32 GMT

 On 9/19/00, 12:47:37 AM, Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org> wrote regarding
 Re: docs/21057: Little correction of hier(8):

 > On Fri, 08 Sep 2000 08:56:17 GMT, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

 > > Dear FreeBSD doc'ers,
 > >
 > > In my quest for the Holy Grail, ahem, for the origin of the /usr
 > > "acronym", I received the following letter from Chris Coleman:

 Dear Mark Ovens,

 You are [most probably] right; the evidence you have given should be
 the ultimate historical answer.

 Chris himself pointed out that he was not quite sure about the origin
 of the "acronym" in question.

 I was wondering whether something like the following would do: "...
 originally abbreviated to usr in the same terse/concise [Unix]
 style/spirit as ls, cmp etc.; subsequently reinterpreted as Unix
 System Resources. The latter meaning seems to be more appropriate to
 the current [Free]BSD filesystem layout [...]".

 Unless other evidence and comments are provided, something like the
 foregoing seems (to me) a sensible choice. But ... beware of my
 English, I am Italian, after all :-)

 Best regards,
 Salvo