Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:24:23 -0000
From:      Martin Tournoy <carpetsmoker@gmail.com>
To:        "boy red" <littleteenfellow@yahoo.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting problems

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:46:24 -0000, boy red <littleteenfellow@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> i have so far installed freeBSD OS and set up the
> accounts but im having some problems. it just takes me
> 2 a black DOS type screen and i dont know how 2 get
> in. by getting in i mean that it doesnt take me to the
> place where i actually start using the computer.
> please help.

If your looking for a quick gui setup, try this:
first go to root, do this by typing:
su
enter your root password.
then type:
pkg_add -r gnome2
exec csh
gdm

This will install ad start the gnome graphical user interface, to
automaticly start it when FreeBSD starts, type(as root)
ee /etc/ttys
Scroll down a few lines and you'll see this line:

ttyv9   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secur

replace xdm with gdm and replace off with on.