Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:30:40 -0700
From:      seth <qwestions2001@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, qwestions2001@yahoo.com
Subject:   X/GNOME/Port upgrade/Dist upgrade

Hoping someone will guide me in the right direction.

I'm running FreeBSD on P3-450Mhz.
I've gotten pretty good about looking on google/dejanews/FreeBSD
handbook for answers.

I do have some confusion when it comes to UNIX concepts at times.

1. I finally got FreeBSD to load the way I needed - with X.  Typically
when I first started to play with FreeBSD, I installed with "user -
install" option; then loaded X-windows which failed.  Hence I went and
downloaded the binaries from Xfree86 followed directions, and then after
some pain was successful in getting X/Gnome/etc... to work.

**point being I got X working currently with GNOME.  It supposedly loads
TWM as a default Window-manager(WM).

After doing some more reading - I found that I needed to load a "GNOME"
compliant WM.  I did this by going to /usr/ports/x11-wm/sawfish and
typed "make" , then "make install" -w/o the quotes.
This worked: my task list doesn't crash anymore and GNOME control center
shows sawfish as the current WM.

keep reading.. there is a point to this.

So I still get some errors about incompatibilty.. so I wanted to upgrade
GNOME and sawfish.. since I read somwhere that upgrading might make
everything peachy.  So I endeavored to do so, ONLY because I've never
upgraded an already installed app/pkg.

On debian - it is easy as "apt-get....." and the upgrade/update or
distribution upgrade is performed.

I did some reading on FreeBSD Diary and the Handbook.  It says something
about CSVup and chainging the default values, etc...
I am confused at this point.  I'd rather not play around BLINDLY and
screw up things and then reinstall FreeBSD all overagain.

So here are my questions:

1. How does this CSV work?  can someone explain or point me in the right
direction?
2. If I upgrade a port tree -- what does this really mean?  Will it take
up more space on my HD?
3. what if I ONLY want to UPGRADE GNOME and SAWFISH.. do I have to
upgrade my port tree (however you do this-- I don't know)
4. I have installed currently - FreeBSD-4.2-Release.  How do I make this
more stable (i.e. make sure I have all the latest pkgs installed with no
known security holes.  )  I ask this question here since I assume that
upgrade OR update pkgs has to do something with CSV.

Sorry for  the long-winded scenario.. but thought that it would be
helpful getting my questions answered if you see my point of view.  I
would LOVE to be spoon fed at this point, but I realize that that would
be too much typing for most people, so some CLEAR directions/references
to achieve my goal(s) would be very nice.

-Q