Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:04:45 -0700
From:      "Brian T. Allen" <brian@gzmarketing.com>
To:        "Brian T. Allen" <brian@gzmarketing.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mail server with users in a database? Follow-Up

> Hi,
>
> I am running 4.2-stable, and want to setup a mail server (preferably not
> sendmail, but it will do in the absence of another solution) where the
> accounts are from a database, rather than actual user accounts on the
> system.  I would prefer the aliases to be database based as well.
>
> I want to do this so that adding a new account or alias is as easy as a
web
> based interface to manipulate the database, rather than work something up
> with expect to work with useradd and passwd.  Plus we have one system
> already with 5,000+ email accounts, all shell accounts with /bin/false,
and
> it is slowing down the system (it is a RH 6.2 Linux box).
>
> Thanks!

Looks like I stopped digging when my shovel was an inch from pay-dirt...

I found this package:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/mail/qmail-mysql/pkg-descr

Does anyone have any experience implementing this?  Any comments, do, or
don'ts I should be aware of?  Any "qmail sucks" or "qmail rocks" information
that will help?

Thanks,
Brian