Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:12:43 +0000
From:      "Jefferson Harlough" <xx_jayrod_x@hotmail.com>
To:        dan@FreeBSD.ORG, temik@egartech.com
Cc:        DougB@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

>I think the meta data should be available uncompressed prepended to the
>.tar.bz2 archive.  Zipping would also work, however as someone earlier
>pointed out zip compression is sub-optimal compared to bzip (or gzip for
>that matter).  Considering the sheer amount (and size) of some of our
>packages I don't think that this is a minor issue.

Would it be possible to replace the current compression algorithm(s) used in
zip with the bzip2 compression algorithms? Would that allow for a greater
degree of compression while still offering the benefits of the zip archive
format?

Package size is quite an issue to me personally. I do not yet have a
broadband connection, and I much prefer to download archives compressed with
the bzip2 software as they usually smaller than archives compressed with
gzip or compress. I'd have to ask that package size is considered as a very
important part of the decision, and hopefully a system that allows for a
high degree of compression will be used in the end.

Sincerely,
  Jefferson