Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:46:06 -0400
From:      "Joe Gleason" <freebsd.list@bug.tasam.com>
To:        <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ssh from windows

I'm not sure how it works with your ssh client, but with mine (SecureCRT)
for all ssh connections, I have the option of password or RSA key for
connections.
When I select password, it may or may not encrypt the password when it
stores it localy, but does encrypt it when sending over the net.
If you want to be sure, connect using the password option, and then use
netstat to see which port it is connecting to.  If it connects to port 22, I
am willing to bet it is encrypted.  I haven't read up on the ssh protocol so
I won't say it for fact.

Generating an RSA key should be a function of your ssh client software.
Maybe there is a way to create it on a unix box and move it, but I have
never tried that.

I also have no idea about rhosts.  I just disable all the r* services on all
unix systems I setup.

Joe Gleason
Tasam