Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:16:21 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Frank Griffith" <frankg@idfw.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Package for Kernel Recompile

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:21:12 -0500, Frank Griffith wrote:

>I did a minimum install when I installed FreeBSD 2.2.7 and
>now need to recompile my kernel. The handbook says to
>go to /usr/src/sys directory ... If you don't have this directory
>go get the package from ftp.freebsd.org.  Only thing is it
>doesn't say which package. Can anyone help with this?
>
>I plan on getting the port over the Internet, not the CD. Thanks.

First, getting it from the CD is just as good as from the Internet,
until you're ready to track -stable or -current with cvsup.

use /stand/sysinstall
select Configure
select Distributions
select src (use space bar to get into src menu)
select base, and sys (again, using the space bar)

You should then have a /sys/i386/conf directory where you can cp
GENERIC YOURKERNELNAME
and edit it and build/install it.

If you run into problems, please write...