Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:32:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: sendmail updated from 8.9.3 to 8.11.0 in -stable

sendmail has been updated from 8.9.3 to 8.11.0 in the RELENG_4 branch.
Some of the more visible changes that may immediately affect your
configuration include:

- New default file locations from src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README
  - Notably, /etc/aliases is now /etc/mail/aliases
- newaliases limited to root and trusted users
- MSA port (587) turned on by default
- New queue file naming system so can't go from 8.11 -> 8.9
- mail.local FreeBSD-only -b option changed to -B
- FEATURE(`rbl') renamed to FEATURE(`dnsbl')
- FEATURE(`nullclient') is more full featured
- FEATURE(`nouucp') requires an argument: `reject' or `nospecial'
- See src/contrib/sendmail/RELEASE_NOTES for more info

After this was done in -CURRENT, a number of questions came up that I will
answer here to save bandwidth:

1. Is STARTTLS going to be enabled?

After September 21, I want to turn on STARTTLS support.  sendmail requires
RSA so turning it on before that time would break builds.  I may look at
Makefile tricks in the mean time.

2. Does this mean SFIO will need to be imported into FreeBSD?

Not for STARTTLS.  I was able to get it working using Torek stdio's
funopen(3) call (_FFR_TLS_TOREK).

3. Is SMTP AUTH going to be enabled?

I don't have any immediate plans to do so.  SMTP AUTH requires Cyrus SASL
and I'm not comfortable enough with that source code to maintain it if it
were imported into the FreeBSD source tree.

4. Why doesn't the default configuration support IPv6?

Note that the sendmail binary does support IPv6.  However, I didn't enable
the IPv6 socket in etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc as it would break systems which
didn't compile IPv6 support into the kernel.  Therefore, if you want IPv6
support, simply create your own .mc file and include the following two
additional lines:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA-v4, Family=inet')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6')

5. Will the sendmail version of vacation be used?

This is on my list of things to do.