Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 22:54:19 -0700
From:      asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports' timetable for 2.0.5

Okay, following Rod's announcement of the code freeze in the main
tree, here is the schedule I'm planning for the ports tree for 2.0.5:

(1) Code freeze of the whole ports area at the same time as the main
    tree, i.e., 5/14 (Sun), 12:01 AM PDT.  After that, only bug fixes
    are allowed.

    In particular, no upgrades.  Don't worry if the original tarball
    is gone from the master site, we have it on wcarchive and it will
    go on the CD.  Don't forget this freeze is for the CD, so as long
    as we can get the tarball and port in sync, it's ok.

    Change of documentation is ok, but for any change you make, I'll
    need to rebuild the package so please try to do it before the
    freeze!

(2) Immediately following the code freeze, I'll check out a copy of
    the entire port tree and put it up for ftp for those who don't
    have cvs access.  It will be a tarball by categories (e.g.,
    utils.tar.gz) and will be available from my research machine
    (forgery.cs.berkeley.edu) for a couple of days to offload
    wcarchive.

(3) Also immediately following the code freeze, thud will be run
    through the last "make world".  At its conclusion (most probably
    after I get back from my final, which ends at 3:30 PM PDT :), I
    will rename /usr/local and /usr/X11R6, build & install XFree86 and
    shells, and then do a

    make -k BATCH=yes DUDS="..." package

    from the top of a checked-out ports tree.  What will be in DUDS
    will depend on what other people can build for me.  Right now I'm
    assuming the following:

    shells (will be built first)
    archivers (Andrey, can you build them?)
    russian (ditto)
    print (Jean-Marc, can you build them?)

(4) I'm hoping the MAINTAINERs will build the IS_INTERACTIVE ports.
    I'll post the list of them later.  If you can't, send me an e-mail
    and I'll see what I can do.

There are some ports that didn't build & package correctly in my last
build, I've already sent out mails to relevant parties so you know
what they are. :)  Please try to fix them before the freeze.

Also, some ports are sort of half-baked, missing from the parent
Makefile's SUBDIR list for no apparent reason.  I'd like to have all
ports fall in one of the following three categories:

(a) Installs and packages fine. :)

(b) Compiles and installs but we can't build a package because of
    legal problems (license, etc.).  These should be in the parent
    directory's Makefile but have a NO_PACKAGE in the port Makefile
    with the comment in front, and also an entry in ports/LEGAL.

(c) We can't legally build and install it on our system (thud).  These
    should be in the parent directory's Makefile as "restricted" with
    an explanation.  Also in ports/LEGAL.

(d) It doesn't build, install and/or package.  It should be in the
    parent Makefile's "broken" list.

Yeah I know I said "three", the fourth list is not what I'd like them
to be. :)

Note that you need pkg/* files for ports in (b) and (c) as well, they
are used in pkg_manage, ports/INDEX and other places.

The distfiles and packages will be copied over to wcarchive as they
get built, so please test them as time permits.  Also, an annoucement
will be posted to the "announce" list and the newsgroup soon.

Well, let me know what you think.  Thanks for your help!

Satoshi