Date:      Thu, 06 May 2004 11:59:25 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?U8O4cmVuIFNjaG1pZHQ=?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        Joe Rhett <jrhett@isite.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updated SATA support patches for Intel ICH & Promise cards

Joe Rhett wrote:
> Just so you know, you're singing to the choir here.  I think everyone
> realizes that its going to take coordination.   But Soren didn't say
> "whoah, let's try this a different way" he went directly to "you're wasting
> my time" without even a basic attempt to consolidate the efforts.

I dont recall using those words, neither does my mail archive.

So now that we are wasting our time on this lets gets things straight.

On april 3rd Doug posted a patch to solve some of the ich problems on
-current. I responded with a couble of questions and some of the stuff
in there was fixed (differently or correctly depending on your view) in
-current back when. Then time passed, I got access to Intel HW here, and
then this patch shows up. I tell Doug that it conflicts with the work
I've been doing to get the Intel parts flying, but that the RAID
metadata code he talks about would be welcomed (but thats not in the
patch at hand mind you). Then all hell breaks loose...

Now, since I'm working on getting *ALL* SATA controllers working
properly (not just Intel) and getting error/status info from them (which
is pretty much ignored currently), I have to take a more general look at
things, and have devised a scheme and implemented most of it already.
This scheme doesn't fit with Doug's work, but parts of it is semilar in
functionality for the Intel parts (surprise).

Maybe I should spend more time publishing whats going on here about ATA
but until now I've prefered to use whatever time and resources I have to
make things happend instead. And frankly I havn't noticed any interest
in this from anyone, except when things break I get plenty of nagging
emails telling me so. Time is a precious resource these days and having
to deal with situations like this doesn't help motivation either.

So, for those *really* interested in ATA work and I mean interested in
the sense of spending hours on it every day or at least on a very
regular basis, lets talk about it off the lists. The project needs one
to take on doing ATA maintenance on -stable, which would be a fine
introduction to doing ATA work that could make a difference....

That said, I'll still take my position as ATA developer/maintainer up to
revision, it takes *ALOT* of my time, and frankly it hasn't been anyway
near as fun lately as it used to be...

--
-Søren