Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 2015 12:28:12 -0700
From:      merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
To:        Patrick Hess <patrickhess@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Let pkg upgrade packages that were installed from binary only?

>>>>> "Patrick" =3D=3D Patrick Hess <patrickhess@gmx.net> writes:

Patrick> Nagy L=C3=A1szl=C3=B3 Zsolt wrote:
>> So is there a way to tell "pkg" that it should not automatically install=
=20
>> dependencies from packages that were installed from the ports tree?

Patrick> You can use "pkg lock ..." to tell pkg(8) not to mess with the pac=
kages
Patrick> that you want to compile yourself from the ports tree.

You can still run in to dependency hell that way.  The moment you start
setting non-default options, the best way I've found is setting up
poudriere.  It's amazingly easy once you get the hang of it, and you can
do a "build" without breaking your current installation until it builds
clean.

--=20
<merlyn@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>;
Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig