Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:57:04 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Esry Don-FDE005 <Don_Esry-FDE005@email.mot.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Separate boot partition?

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 10:42:06AM -0700, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> > Esry Don-FDE005 wrote:
> > >
> > > I believe that IBM, HP, and Sun all buy their LVM from Veritous.
> Hopefully I
> > > am close enough in spelling that you can figure it out.
> >
> > I don't believe that's the case with IBM. I have been known to be
> > wrong before, though...
>      The company name, I think, is Veritas (as in Veritas Vos
> Liberabit).  And you're correct that IBM didn't *buy* the
> implementation from Veritas.  It's quite similar in idea, though.

I was under the impression that the IBM design predated Veritas', though
I could be mistaken. Design for IBM's volume manager began in 1987 and
was first introduced with AIX 3.1 on the RS6K (1990, I believe).

Also, if my memory serves me, the OSF implemented a volume manager
similar to the one in AIX. They were originally intending to use IBM's
but decided to re-implement it (they were disastified with the IBM
implementation, but I never knew for certain the details).

Bob

--
Bob Willcox             The man who follows the crowd will usually get no
bob@luke.pmr.com        further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is