Date:      Fri, 15 May 2009 18:19:05 +0200
From:      Patrick =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Lamaizi=E8re?= <patfbsd@davenulle.org>
To:        Brendan Kennedy <brendan.kennedy@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.1 opencrypto --> kern.cryptodevallowsoft

Le Tue, 12 May 2009 19:14:38 +0100,
Brendan Kennedy <brendan.kennedy@gmail.com>:

> Hi All,

Hello,

> FreeBSD_26# sysctl -a | grep crypto
> kern.cryptodevallowsoft: 1
>
> However, when I try a test, I get the following:
>
> FreeBSD_26# /usr/src/tools/tools/crypto/cryptotest -va 3des
> cipher 3des keylen 24
> CIOCGSESSION: Invalid argument
> FreeBSD_26# /usr/src/tools/tools/crypto/cryptotest -va des
> cipher des keylen 8
> CIOCGSESSION: Invalid argument
>
> It seems the software crypto device is not available. Do I need to do
> any other steps to enable it? Is there another config option that
> makes sure it is build as part of Opencrypto framework? Do I need to
> build some other software driver instead?

Cryptodev fails because it checks that the requested crypto driver
provides hardware crypto. function "checkforsoftware" in cryptodev.c
And it does not take care about the sysctl kern.cryptodevallowsoft.

Looks like a bug and not a feature. OpenBSD's cryptodev seems to take
care about the sysctl and i think you can use the cryptosoft driver
with it.

Regards.