Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 22:01:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lyndon Griffin <lgriffin@bsd4us.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hello ello llo lo o

From the "for what it's worth" department:

Good info, Jason.  Thanks.

I would like, if there are no strong oppositions, to take ownership of the
FreeBSD/SPARC(32) porting efforts.  I must stress that this is only for
the 32bit SPARC architectures, as I am not yet fortunate enough to own any
sun4u machines.  I don't know to what extent the two can co-exist in a
single port - based on the various other distributions (OpenBSD, NetBSD,
Debian, and RedHat), I think this may be a smart move.  Comments on that
are welcome, and we can certainly open it up for discussion on a new
thread.

In the next few days, I will set up a dedicated area on my web site to
handle port status information, FAQ, etc.  I'll post the URL here.  I can
also set up a CVS server there and start tracking -current.  Even if I'm
not heading up the show, these are valuable resources for any project.

I think leveraging existing code from any available (by available, I mean
borrowing from Net-, Open-, and Free- existing code base) source is the
quickest route to a running system.  We can re-engineer anything not
specifically FreeBSD-core compliant prior to designating a release.

I must admit that I have almost -zero- experience as a SPARC coder.  In
other words, I have no clue what I'm getting myself into, here.  The
really twisted thing is that is my reason for doing it.

Can I get a sound-off of those who are ready to start working immediately?
It would probably be a good idea to post the "team" information on the
status page.

<:)  Lyndon Griffin
http://www.bsd4us.org