Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 06:39:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      George Vagner <kf7nn@mutsgo.dyn.ml.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   voodoo usernames

I recently underwent a major rebuilding of the system which included
replacing my 2.5 gig HDD with a 5 GIG primary and 3.1 GIG secondary HDD.
previously i had all of my system on the 2.5 GIG HDD but i removed it
and put it in another machine. I did a complete reinstall of 2.2.5
and cvsupped up to -stable made new kernel etc   all of this went well.

here is my question.

How the heck do i still have my users on my system?

for instance i never created a user "vagner" on this system but i did
on the old system, there is no directory /home/vagner but i can still
log in to the system as vagner...and it creates the directory for me!

this seems impossible unless usernames are stored on the net
or something?