Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:57:33 -0500
From:      bmiranda@loudoun.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help!

For some reason,.. I have purchased a number of FreeBSD books,.. with
CD-Roms and have run into the same problems with each.  I will refer to
the latest I have purchased, the Walnut Creek book with FreeBSD 2.2.2
(June 1997).

    No matter how I configure my hard drive,.. whether with different
partitions for /, /usr,/etc... or a single large partition (of 650MB) I
ALWAYS run out of room.  It will not install the X-Windows system.

I have tried installing all the ports.  Nothing.
I have tried just a fairly bare X-User install, with and without
multiple partitions.  Nothing.

It will consistantly tell me that the file system is full when it gets
to different portions of the X-windows setup.  It will not load xbin,
and a number of different files, yet after failing on that,.. it'll
install stuff that follows it.  What's the deal?

All I want to do is set up a basic X-developer system in order to try to
use programs I use at work on my SGI.
I can install and have Linux working within minutes on my home system
but I cannot get FreeBSD to work.

My current complete setup is as follows:

Intel Portland Motherboard
Intel Pentium II, 266Mhz
64MB Ram, 55ns

Adaptec 2940UW HDD Controller, PCI
Seagate Barracuda 2.1GB Hdd (1) (Primary)
Seagate Hawk 2.1 GB Hdd (1) (Secondary)
Fujitsu 520MB HDD (1) (For near line compressed storage)
Plextor 6Plex SCSI CD-ROM (which I can boot the CD from)

Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 (S3 Virge), 4MB

USRobotics 33.6 Internal Modem
General Instruments Surfboard Cable Modem
Ensoniq Soudscape VIVO sound card.

NEC Multisync 3V