Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 09:18:36 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devinfo - Houston, we have a small crisis here..

Stefan Esser stands accused of saying:
> I'm ready to change whatever is necessary, to have
> the PCI code correctly register things. But I'm not
> going to accept that PCI devices are dealt with as
> if they were ISA devices. They aren't and I'm glad
> it is that way.
>
> I am open to discussion.

A couple of things that have come out of some work I've done recently with
regard to PCI devices (and ISA devices as well for that matter).

- It should be possible to disable a PCI device before it is probed.

- It should be possible to extract the long description of a driver
  (PCI, ISA, Multibus or S100 for that matter) _before_ it is probed.

And with regard to ISA devices in particular, the should be a bitfield
that indicates which of the parameters for a driver are configurable.

>  Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[