Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:54:39 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Apatewna <apatewna@yahoo.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Duplicate emails on freebsd-questions

On 2007-02-19 11:53, Apatewna <apatewna@yahoo.gr> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the problem with duplicate emails resides on how
> the list software is setup.

No, you are wrong about this.  The duplicate emails Greg Lehey was
talking about were repeated re-posts of the same message.

> I am a member of another list where each email sent out by the list
> software is stripped of all CCs and ReplyTOs. There is only a
> "ReplyTo" address in the form of "questions-list@somedomain.com".

There is a very good reason why it is customary in this mailing list to
copy the sender when replying.  We don't accept email messages only from
subscribers.  This means that some people may post a question without
even being subscribed to the list.  By Reply-To: header "hacks", like
the one you are describing, the original poster may never see your
reply.

This particular Reply-To: trick has been proposed in the past too, and
its use has been discussed to death many times.  Please refer to the
archives for more reasons why it is bad for this mailing list.

> I have never run a mailing list before so that I can strictly suggest
> proper action, but this is the way I believe thing are running at the
> moment and it ought to be improved by our suggestions.

I don't think there's something wrong with the current setup :-(

- Giorgos