Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:44:52 +0200
From:      Iani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>
To:        Dave Rossow <dave@dreksys.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd won't go multi-user

Dave Rossow wrote:

> Hi, can anyone help point me in the right direction?  I'm having a problem
> using FreeBSD 3.1.  I installed from the latest CDRom using the 'impatient'
> method.  I've setup two systems, one as a database server, the other as a
> webserver.  Neither are as yet in active production use yet.  The install
> worked fine and everything seemed fine.  However, sometime shortly after I
> started installing various software packages I started getting syslog
> message like the following:
>
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data last message repeated 3 times
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data /kernel: file: table is full
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data last message repeated 3 times
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data /kernel: file: table is full
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data last message repeated 3 times
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data /kernel: file: table is full
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data last message repeated 12 times
>
> I get the same messages on both systems and after trying to reboot one of
> them, I find it will now only boot into single user mode.  Is this some kind
> of blocking factor problem?  Do I need to re-create the filesystems or
> something?  Anybody experienced this before?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

I've got similar messages preventing multi-user mode after making the world from
3.0 to 3.1.
The problem was recursive calling of the /etc/rc.conf file.

In 3.1 the /etc/rc.conf file must contain only the needed differences from
/etc/defaults/rc.conf (not the whole file). If your /etc/rc.conf file is from an
older version (<=3.0) it may cause a similar problem.

--iani