Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:01:40 -0600
From:      "jshowatt" <jshowatt@attbi.com>
To:        "Scott Emerson Longley" <emerson@WPI.EDU>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Making the all-important switch

This is my first ever post to a FBSD mailing list so can someone explain
what "top posting" is and why it's not well received?  What other
formatting/etiquette rules should I keep in mind?

run

> Choosing the right OS for a computer with a specific use is like choosing
> the right tool for the job; it's essential.

So why the derogatory 'Windoze' rather than simply 'Windows'?  I would argue
that Windows is the 'right OS' for many uses.  Try running AutoCAD on any
other operating system.  Remove Windows from the desktops of every
architecture firm in the US and you would cripple the industry.  Windows is,
in short, essential in this context.

I've been following -questions for awhile and read a very well reasoned and
succinct argument against using such negative terms to describe other
platforms.  I've chosen to adopt this view myself.  Don't get me wrong, I'm
actually envious of your ability and openness to trying different OSes.
Just putting in my two cents.

Good luck with FreeBSD and keep -newbies posted of your progress.  I for one
would be interested in knowing what differences (or lack thereof) you
discover.

Steve